< Previous Post | Book review | Next Post ->
Authentic and HumbleBe yourself and express your true passion. Be humble. Try to create one-on-one conversation with everyone. Use jargon-free (i.e., 6 grade level) language packaged into short clear sentences. Share expertise, not ego. Do not self-promote.
Filler WordsThese are words like ‘umm,’ ‘ahh,’ ‘you know,’ ‘I mean,’ ‘so…,’ ‘actually,’ ‘like,’ ‘sort of,’ ‘kind of,’ etc. People use these words to fill in uncomfortable silence. Avoid using these express uncertainty, immaturity, and unpreparedness.
Burst and PauseThis is a technique to get rid of filler words. Speak in burst, and then pause. A pause gives you time to collect your thought for upcoming content. It gives audience time to consume your content. It creates expectation of what you are about to say next. It shows your aura of awe and self-control.
“A long pause works like a silence exclamation.”
Voice and Word Techniques
- Use soft tone to draw people in and listen up more carefully.
- Use louder voice to command attention.
- Use pitch and pace to add drama and excitement to the talk.
- Use vivid and sensory details to grab people's attention. Sight, sound, and smell are the easiest to sense. Taste and touch are a bit harder for people to grasp.
- Use the word ‘you' in singular to address people personally. Do not use too much 'you all', 'we', 'all of you’.